Sunday, July 18, 2010

Geeks vs. Nerds

So since my blog URL is "bensnerdblog" I think I should clarify why I called it that and what a nerd is. I wouldn't quite call myself a nerd... but some of the stuff I post here will probably be somewhat "nerdy."

So what is a nerd, and how does a nerd compare to a geek? There's a lot of controversy over this, and some people are just wrong. Here's some background on geeks and nerds, and how I'd explain the difference.

Nerd:
The term "nerd" first appeared in print in a 1950 Dr. Suess story
If I Ran the Zoo. But no one knows really why he used it, and the has little relevance here... but it's true.
Nerds are more cerebral than the geek, and they generally have abnormally high aptitude for things such as science, technology, and even computers. Nerds, unlike geeks, have marketable skills and a drive to accomplish and achieve. Nerds also can have social skills, play sports, and in general lead fairly normal lives.

Geek:
The term "geek" originally referred to carnival sideshow wild men who did freakish things such as biting heads off chickens. Geeks aren't quite that strange now, but they're still pretty much useless... they don't have useful skills like nerds do. And they play WoW (World of Warcraft), Dungeons and Dragons, and quote Monty Python... and other stuff like that. Not good... and some carry their calculators in holsters on their belt. Don't ever to that... it's not cool. I knew a guy in school who did that.

Here's a video about geeks. If you have 7 minutes to waste, check it out.




I think these pictures kind of illustrate the difference.

Nerd.

Geek.

Being a nerd is okay... but don't be a geek.





6 comments:

Polka Dot said...

That's so cool that nerd first was mentioned in a Dr. Seuss book!

Miss Pickwickian said...

Go Dr. Seuss!!!

Love the example pictures. :-)

The video is LOL.

dura mater said...

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you're not a geek.

rachelgrace said...

wait...I quote Monty Python but I don't carry a calculator in a holster...now I'm confused...

Ben said...

I wouldn't worry, I'm pretty sure you're not a geek... It's probably possible to quote Monte Python without being one. That in and of itself isn't enough, and it also depends on you do it... see the example in the youtube video (if you can stomach it!).

AnnaKate said...

hahaha!! This is too funny. Now if you could clear something up for me, a q my dad asked: "Why do beautiful women marry nerds??"